not in our stars, but in ourselves
Are you having a wild, raucous, super-duper fun Friday night?
So I’ve devised a game for all y’all. I will give you lyrics to a song that appeared in a movie musical. You will name both the song and the film, for full credit. Some of these just might be songs that featured in more than one movie. You can get points for whichever film you name, as long as you’re right.
Winner gets my boundless gratitude, a bottle of the top-shelf liquor of their choice, and maybe some sexyfuntimes??? Probably not. But if Christoph Waltz wins…well, then, he wins all of that.
1. You’ve got me sad and dreamy;
You could free me
If you’d see me!
2. A million lights, they flicker there;
A million hearts beat quicker there.
3. Oh, listen, sister,
I love my Mr. Man —
And I can’t tell you why.
4. Lady peaceful, lady happy:
That’s what I longed to be….
5. If it’s yellow, then it’s Jell-O.
If it’s blue, it could be stew.
6. Ever since the world began,
A woman’s got to have a man.
Forgetting him, you see,
Means you’re forgetting me.
7. I used to love her,
The little devil,
Was just a butterfly;
But you discover something on the level
Shining in her eye.
8. Find a gentleman who’s shy or bold,
Or short, or tall, or young, or old,
As long as the guy’s a millionaire!
9. There’s a ship –
The Black Freighter –
With a skull on its masthead
Will be coming in…
[NOTE: lyrics originally in a language other than English]
10. Today, the minutes seem like hours;
The hours pass so slowly;
And still, the sky is light…
11. Ev’ry duke and earl and peer is here.
Ev’ryone who should be here is here.
12. So I should have realized a lot of things before;
If this is love, you gotta give me more….
13. Sol, la, fa, sol, si, la la, sol…
Sol, la, fa, sol, la mi sol mi fa do fa…
I’m sorry, mademoiselle, mais je suis amoureux!
– Vous avez de la chance!
– Je fais ce que je peux!
14. I could stand the sight of worms
And microscopic germs,
But technicolor pachyderms
Are really too much for me.
15. My self control was something to brag about;
Now it’s a gag about town.
16. I’m electrifyin’,
And I ain’t even tryin’!
17. After watching your appeal from every angle,
There’s a big romantic deal I’ve got to wangle —
For I’ve fallen for a certain luscious lass,
And it’s not a passing fancy or a fancy pass.
18. When she complains your behavior is heinous,
Kick her right in the Coriolanus.
19. With each word, your tenderness grows,
Tearing my fears apart;
And that laugh that wrinkles your nose
Touches my foolish heart.